Monday, January 19, 2009

Today and Tomorrow

are historic days. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day today and tommorrow is the inaugration of America's first black president. As Bob and I watched video of Dr. King's I have a Dream speech it brought tears to our eyes. It is just astounding that in 1963 black people were so mistreated. I was just a child at the time but I am sure I felt the same way my parents did, "they were just inferior. "We always had a black housekeeper and my parents were never ugly to her, but she was our employee . I realize I was too young at the time to have had any feelings other than those that were expressed in my home, but it is difficult to realize that I felt that way also.When I watched the speech today, I saw many white people among the thousands of blacks who marched on Washington that day. I would like to think if I had been an adult at that time that I would have been one of those brave people to stand among the disinfranchized and marched with them. I wish I could have been there. I still remember my father's disdain for the celebreties who marched along with Dr. King. Oh, to have been one of those brave souls. Things have come a long way since those days but people are still discriminated against. I will use this day as a day to evaluate my thoughts and feelings toward others. Am I treating someone differently because of the color of their skin, or because they are gay, or because they are mentally ill? As far as I know God made all people equal as it states in our constitution. So, am I treating them all equally? I repent if I have not treated someone fairly and pray that I will always treat others as I wish to be treated.

If you would like to hear it :http://www.holidays.net/mlk/speech.htm

Tommorrow is just a wonderful day. It will give all people hope, even me, hope that things will be different.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails